Can cars get any smarter? Apparently so, and Toyota is proving that in leaps and bounds. At Toy Car Care, we know all about Toyota’s Safety Sense features, and we want our customers to be aware of how Toyota has taken steps in improving your safety in all driving conditions. What is Toyota Safety Sense, you ask? Well, it’s technology from a company that is always raising the bar on safety standards.
The Toyota Safety Sense system offers a broad range of features compacted into one group to help the driver be more aware of their surroundings while driving, parking or backing up. It helps with avoiding being rear ended, lane swerving and better awareness of pedestrians, and animals or objects that you possibly cannot see at night. Safety packages will be offered at low rates in the hopes that drivers will be able to avoid and prevent crashes from ever happening. Let us break down the different safety features.
Toyota Safety Sense C (TSS-C) (for Compact Cars)
Pre-Collision System-Vehicle Detection:
- In-vehicle camera with a laser to detect the vehicle in front of you.
- Uses an audio and video alert to caution driver to brake if it detects a frontal collision.
- The system may assist in braking if necessary.
- Operates when the vehicle is approximately 7-85 miles per hour.
- If the driver does not brake, the system will take over and assist in the braking if a collision is detected.
Of course, there are many other precautions to be aware of, and it is best to read the owner’s manual for the complete usage to understand fully and be aware of what is happening.
Lane Departure Alert: (LDA)
- Camera inside detects white and yellow lane markings and the position of the vehicle when driving.
- Alerts the driver with video and audio to correct the situation.
- Functions at speed approximately 32 miles per hour or higher.
Check out an online video for a visual instruction, and of course the owner’s manual.
Automatic High Beams: (AHB)
- In-vehicle camera detects objects at night and adjusts the high beam lights accordingly without blinding the other driver.
- 25 miles per hour or greater.
- Can be turned on or off if desired.
Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) (for Mid-sized, Large and Premium Cars)
Added wave radar on the front grill makes this package much more precise with a few more added features worth mentioning.
Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist Functions:
- All the same great stuff as above but with the added feature of steering assisted help from the computer if lane crossing detected.
- Vehicle sway warning.
- May be turned off if required.
- Be sure to check owner’s manual.
In-vehicle camera and front grill-mounted millimeter-wave radar.
Computer will detect and assist in braking if necessary.
The 2016 Prius, Camry, and Avalon are equipped with this new technology, so if you’re wondering what is Toyota Safety Sense, hopefully we covered all the bases here. Toy Car Care is proud to be your service center for all safety concerns and repairs. We’re here to help you with all the information you need, as well as expert maintenance and repairs.